Daycares Don't Care
How Can a Daycare Love?

 

Search
 Daycares Website

Daycare DC Home Daycare DC Home
Daycare Books Daycare
Books
Daycare Cartoons Daycare
Cartoons
Daycare Magazines Daycare
Magazines
Daycare News Articles Daycare
News Articles
Daycare Web Articles Daycare
Web Articles
History of Daycare History of
Daycare
Do the Math for Daycare Do the Math
for Daycare
Daycare Dictionary Daycare
Dictionary
Daycare Diseases Daycare
Diseases
Daycare and Religion Daycare
and Religion
Daycare Trivia Daycare
Trivia
What Daycare Workers say People comment
about Daycare
What Daycare Workers Say What Daycare
Workers say
FAQs You don't like Daycare?
Links Recommended
Reading
Sitemap Links
Contact Us FAQs
What can you do? Sitemap
Contact Us

ßBack

Quotes from books about daycare - 1995-99, p8

Nextà

Featured Books 1995-1999:  
Mother in the Middle     pages:  1 | 2 | 3 | 4  | 5 | 6 
Being There:  The Benefits of a Stay at Home Parent  pages:   7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 
Who Needs Parents?         pages:  11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22
Early Childcare:  Infants and Nations at Risk   pages:  23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34
Children's Interests/Mothers' Rights   pages:  35
Saving Childhood  pages:  35
Books from: 1970  |  1980-1984  |  1985-1989 |  1990-1994  |  1995-1999  |  2000-2002  |  2003-2004  |  2005-2006 | 2007-2008 | 2009-2010 |

Book

Quote/Comment

Being There: The Benefits of a Stay-at-Home Parent
by Isabelle Fox with Norman M. Losenz 1996
page 62
…today’s caregivers…(change) with mind-numbing frequency.
A 1990 University of California study found that even at the “best” day-care centers, the turnover rate for (day-care workers) caregivers was very high—over 40 percent annually.
Category = Quality
Being There: The Benefits of a Stay-at-Home Parent
by Isabelle Fox with Norman M. Losenz 1996
page 62
Another child care authority, Marcy Whitebrook said that “[t]urnover among child care workers is second only to parking lot and gas station attendants. Surely we can offer our children a better quality of care than we give our automobiles!
Category = Quality
Being There: The Benefits of a Stay-at-Home Parent
by Isabelle Fox with Norman M. Losenz 1996
page 62
The Carnegie Report further confirms the dangers to infants and toddlers of frequent changes in caregivers by noting that such “turnover has consequences for infants and toddlers: ‘what we call turnover’ Deborah Phillips, an expert in child development said, ‘they experience as loss.’
Category = Quality
Being There: The Benefits of a Stay-at-Home Parent
by Isabelle Fox with Norman M. Losenz 1996
page 6
3
…the “best” day-care centers can unwittingly compound a caregiver “roulette” process because of their very laudable concerns in providing a low caregiver-to-infant ratio.
Such a policy requires more trained personnel: obviously if the infant-to-caregiver ratio is the preferred one-to-three, more such caregivers are needed than if, say, a one-to-seven ratio is provided. But such care is tiring and demanding. To help such staff members, there are breaks, staggered shifts, rotation of personnel, and other measures, which can result in an infant being cared for by six or more persons in one day! And remember, from the infant’s standpoint, this variety of change is in addition to all the others already described.
Category = Quality
Being There: The Benefits of a Stay-at-Home Parent
by Isabelle Fox with Norman M. Losenz 1996
pages 6
3-64
A most disturbing report on child day-care centers was published in April 1995 by the University of Colorado. This contained the findings of child-care authorities at four major universities.
The report stated that at most child-care centers “the levels of quality required to support children’s development are not being met.” Of the 401 centers studied, only “14% were rated as developmentally appropriate—while the remaining 86% scored from poor to mediocre.”
Category = Quality

ßBack

Quotes from books about daycare - 1995-99, p8

Nextà

Last updated:  02/27/2008

Books:  1970 | 1980-1984 | 1985-1989 | 1990-1994 | 1995-1999 | 2000-2002 | 2003-2004 | 2005-2006 | 2007-2008 | 2009-2010


Home Page